Daring fundraisers are urged to be quick off the mark a hospice challenge event with a difference draws closer.
In less than a month Battle of the Knights, a 5km event, which includes a 4km run and obstacle course challenge, in aid of St Nicholas Hospice Care, will return to The Playground, in Barrow.
With the event taking place on Sunday, March 18, challengers can sign-up now for £35.
Two of those picking up the gauntlet for the second time will be husband and wife team Abby and Justin ‘Bub’ Mayes.
Having never taken part in an obstacle event before both Abby, who has been a corporate fundraiser at the hospice for almost 10 years and her husband Bub who runs his own plumbing business, threw themselves into last year’s event.
With Bub finishing third overall and Abby the third fastest female to cross the finish line both gained the title of Knight and will be defending their honour at the upcoming event.
Abby said: “We are both very competitive but neither of us had any idea how well we were doing. Bub keeps fit because of his job but other than that he doesn’t do any exercise.
“Neither of us had ever done anything like it before. We were complete novices. Bub literally just turned up on the day in his beach shorts and some old trainers.
“We were both shocked when we saw where we had finished but I do think it just shows how great this event is for everyone.
“I genuinely believe that Battle of the Knights is a challenge that everyone can do. It is something that everyone can achieve.”
This year’s event, which is sponsored by Hugh J Boswell and supported by The Playground, will see challengers face an array of obstacles including; a 10ft wall, tyre run, vertical cargo net, incline and decline monkey bars, before they can finish with a ramp climb.
Two new races for children will also feature, and although Abby and Bub’s children, Oscar aged five and two-year-old Sebastian are too young to take part they will still be there on the day cheering the pair on.
Abby said: “Last year it was such a boost knowing that the boys were waiting to watch us at the finish line, and it really did help with the final obstacle (the ramp).”
The first children’s race is for youngsters aged between eight and 11 and starts at 2pm with another race at 2.20pm for 12 to 15-year-olds.
Medieval-themed fancy dress is optional, but both children’s races will start with a 1km run followed by a series of child-friendly obstacles. Children can take part for £15, with 100 places available.
Although Battle of the Knights is not a race, for those looking for a more competitive race, the challenge will be chip-timed and some of those who finished in the top 10 percent in 2017, like Abby and Bub, will be returning to defend their titles.
Finishers in the top 10 percent this year will be given the title of Knight and can compete in 2019’s challenge free of charge.
Abby said: “We are both definitely looking forward to this year and we will certainly be competitive, we both have our Knight titles to defend, who knows Bub might even buy a proper pair of running trainers,” said Abby.
To sign-up for the event, and to view full terms and conditions visit https://stnicholashospice.org.uk/news-community/events-listing/battle-of-the-knights/.
Pictured above are Abby and Bub Mayes