Town come from two goals down to beat Premiership outfit Wolverhampton Wanderers

The two teams line up prior to kick off. Photo: Russell Cook,.

Ipswich Town are currently flying high in the Championship having won seven of their eight league matches with only loss at home to Leeds United.

Tonight they were up against Premier League opponents Wolverhampton Wanderers, who have a raft of international players in their ranks, in the third round of the Carabao Cup having seen off Bristol Rovers and Reading in the previous two rounds.

So I went along to Portman Road to get a taste of the action and see if they could progress even further in the competition.


Ipswich fought back from two goals down in the opening quarter of an hour against Wolverhampton Wanderers to take a 3-2 victory in a frenetic Carabao Cup tie.

The winning goal came via a pile driver of a shot from Jack Taylor who fired home from fully 25 yards out smashing his shot into the top left corner.

The visitors stormed in front with goals from South Korean international Hwang Hee Chan and centre back Tori Gomes.

But Omari Hutchinson and Freddie Ladapo replied for the Town in a goal fest of a first 45 minutes when the visitors looked as if their Premiership quality would shine through and go further ahead to take an unassailable lead.

The game was only three minutes old when Chan rifled a shot past Ipswich goalkeeper Vaclav Hladky to give Wolves the lead.

It came after a heavy touch from Dom Ball resulted in a quick attack by the visitors with the Town shot stopper getting hands to the ball but unable to keep it out of the net.

Moments later Matt Doherty, who was found just inside the penalty area, fired the ball towards the Ipswich goal but it was deflected for a corner by George Edmundson.

A mazy run by Chelsea loanee Hutchinson in the 12th minute saw him fouled just outside the D of the penalty area by Wolves’ defender Boubacar Traore, who received a yellow card, but the free kick struck the Wanderers’ wall.

Santiago Bueno met the ball with his head from a corner which produced a superb reactionary save from Hladky but Gomes was there to volley in from close-range in the 15th minute to extend Wolves’ lead.

Half way through the first half Jack Taylor blasted a shot towards the Wolves goal which was turned round the post by the Wanderers’ goalkeeper Dan Bentley but the Town reduced the arrears in the 28th minute thanks to Hutchinson. He was found by Marcus Harness allowing the Ipswich man to race away down the right side of the box to fire home inside the near post.

Shots rained in on the Wanderers’ goal from Ipswich striker Ladapo and Lee Evans and in the 35th minute Ladapo was fouled just outside the penalty area and the subsequent free kick was tipped over the bar by Bentley.

Town drew level through Ladapo four minutes later. Ipswich won a throw in which was taken by Kayden Jackson. Marcus Harness then rolled the ball inside and Ladapo’s shot on the turn couldn’t be kept out of the goal by Bentley.

Just before the break Dominic Ball was guilty of passing the ball straight back to Hladky but the resulting free kick 12 yards from goal was blocked by the Ipswich wall.

Harness’ darting run into the penalty area saw his shot deflected wide at the start of the second period but Ipswich went in front through Taylor in the 58th minute. Harness fed the ball to him and he strode forward to strike an unerring shot past Bentley to the delight of the majority of the 20,236 watching fans.

Wolves had the ball in the net in the 94th minute but referee Sam Barrott ruled Rayan Ait-Nouri effort offside.

Another come-from-behind victory for the Tractor Boys who will know their opponents in the next round tomorrow (Wednesday) night.








Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *