Three dogs have been poisoned after they were left to roam free in the grounds of a rural property in West Suffolk.
Now police are urging owners to be cautious following the incident in West Suffolk with took place between Thursday and Friday, June 23 and 24, with officers believing they were deliberately poisoned.
The owner found all three dogs unconscious the next morning and tests have confirmed that they had ingested Pentobarbital, which is an anaesthetic used for sedation and euthanasia in cats and dogs and only available on prescription.
The exact method of transmission isn’t known but it’s suspected the dogs were fed with food laced with the drug.
The intentions of those suspected of doing this isn’t known but police believe this is likely to be the actions of would-be thieves that were disturbed.
Sgt Brian Calver from the Rural and Wildlife Policing Team said: “This is a particularly worrying incident. Criminals will go to great lengths to steal other people’s property but this is simply disgusting and wicked.
“?The dogs involved have all made a recovery but only by early intervention and good fortune. This could easily have resulted in the dogs deaths, which is something we don’t want to see anybody suffer. With than in mind, we’d urge anybody that does allow dogs to wander free at night to reconsider their security arrangements and ensure the dogs are kept safe and secure.”
Anybody that has any information which could assist in this investigation is advised to contact Suffolk police, quoting investigation number 37/39683/22.
Phone – Call 101.
Alternatively, contact the independent charity Crimestoppers 100% anonymously on 0800 555 111, or via their online form: www.crimestoppers-uk.org